This is an adaptation of Deliciously Ella’s Cannellini Bean Stew which I have been making for years now! It’s a great recipe for a quick and easy weekday supper. Most of the ingredients are everyday cupboard staples and when served with rice as a side you have created a meal which will satisfy your appetite.
To reduce the salt content, I use just half a dozen sun-dried tomatoes, as opposed to Ella’s full jar! If you or someone you’re cooking for has high blood pressure I would suggest leaving them out altogether. For a different kind of taste and texture you might want to swap the sun-dried tomatoes for some oven-baked cherry plum tomatoes. Simply pop a punnet of tomatoes in an oven proof dish along with some crushed garlic, a pinch of salt and a generous helping of freshly ground pepper. Pour over some olive oil, toss to coat all the tomatoes and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until soft. Stir these through just prior to serving.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4):
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 400g tins of cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 level teaspoon of ground chilli
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Rinse and drain the cannellini beans and set to one side.
- Pop the onion in a large pan with some coconut oil and fry until soft and translucent.
- Blitz the sun dried-tomatoes in a small blender or finely slice. Add them to the pan, along with the chilli, garlic and freshly ground pepper and cook for 1 minute before adding the chopped tomatoes. Cook for a couple of minutes, stiring continuously.
- Finally, add the beans, tahini, tamari and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes. Serve with rice and some broccoli or kale.