This is my go to cake if I want an indulgent, yet guilt-free, treat. This unique cake ticks so many boxes for me; it is both egg and dairy free and has the added bonus of being both fat and refined sugar free. However, the natural sugars provided by both the dates and dried fruits are high so don’t go mad and eat the whole lot in one go! It’s a great cake for sharing, which means you won’t be tempted to overdose yourself.
This wonderfully moist and fruity cake contains no refined sugar or fat. It’s also free of eggs and dairy products, which means it’s suitable for vegans.
- 250g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml water
- 85g gluten free plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 85g gluten free wholemeal flour
- 500g bag dried, mixed fruit
- 50g ground almonds
- 80ml orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3 and line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Add the dates and water to a pan and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl. Add the wholemeal flour, mixed fruit and ground almonds and stir to combine. Stir in the wet date mixture and the orange juice. Mix well.
- Spoon into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.